It’s that time of year again. Let’s see how I did for 2018 first…
- The world will not end. YES
- The Holy Father will resign shortly after a consistory. NO
- Either Cdl. Parolin or an African will become the next pope. NO
- Vatican financial reform will continue to be a scandal and a joke. YES
- Nobody will find D.B. Cooper or his treasure. YES
- The readership of this website will increase by at least 500 subscribers (including email subscriptions which aren’t publicly visible). NO (but we did okay!)
- There will not be a ruling on Medjugorje. YES
- The Dominicans will overtake the Jesuits in the USA for the most entrants into the novitiate. MAYBE (waiting for CARA report)
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI will survive and continue to grow in clout. YES
- I will not be made a monsignor. YES
6 or 7 out of 10 ain’t bad. Here are my 10 predictions for 2019. They are a bit spicier.
- An A-list Hollywood personality will either publicly convert to Catholicism or come out very publicly as a Catholic.
- Yes – Here (I’m counting it!)
- The Cubs will win the World Series.
- Fr. Pedro Arrupe, S.J. will go from “Servant of God” to “Venerable.”
- A woman will become the new head of Vatican communications.
- It will snow in Rome.
- Washington D.C. will get a new archbishop from the Midwest.
- Yes – Abp. Gregory is a native of Illinois.
- The Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei will be shut down or completely absorbed into the CDF.
- Yes – Here
- A highly credible Marian apparition will occur in Austria.
- A bishop from Estonia will be named a cardinal.
- Rome will fail for a third time in a row to buy an acceptable Christmas tree for Piazza Venezia.